WoF - Warrant of Fitness
It’s your responsibility to keep your vehicle up to NZTA WoF condition at all times. At Arrowtown Garage we are here to help you with your WoF (Warrant of Fitness) requirements for your vehicle. Arrowtown Garage has a certified WoF licence and our knowledgeable staff will be able to assist with advise and services to make sure your vehicle meets the NZTA WoF standards.
We do WoF’s for all types of light vehicles.
All vehicles first registered anywhere in the world on or after 1 January 2000 will need annual WoF inspections for their lifetime.
New vehicles will have an initial inspection, another WoF inspection won’t be required until the 3rd anniversary of their first registration.
The length of time a WoF is issued for is calculated based on the vehicle’s date of first registration in New Zealand.
It’s illegal to drive a vehicle…
- If it doesn’t meet WoF requirements.
- If it doesn’t display a valid WoF label.
You can drive your vehicle on the road without a WoF only under these circumstances:
When taking it somewhere for repair
To get to a new WoF – If it is safe to to do so
What a warrant inspection covers at Arrowtown Garage follow strict NZTA regulations and includes:
- Brake operation
- Tyre wear
- Structural condition (rust is not allowed in certain areas)
- Glazing (is your windscreen safe?)
- Windscreen washers and wipers
- Doors (do they open and close safely?)
- Safety belts (must not be damaged or overly faded; buckles must work properly)
- Air Bags (if fitted)
- Speedometer (must be working)
- Steering and suspension (must be safe and secure)
- Exhaust (there must be no leaks and the exhaust must not be Smokey or loader than the original exhaust system)
- Fuel system (there must be no leaks).
- If you’ve modified your car, motorcycle, van or other light vehicle you may need a low volume certificate.
A WOF is not a pre-purchase inspection. It doesn’t include many areas of a vehicle’s condition. For example it doesn’t check:
- engine, clutch, gearbox and differential condition
- lubricant levels and condition
- brake pad thickness or life expectancy, unless they are visibly below safe limits
- paint work condition and some rust in non-structural areas
Although this is not part of the WoF Inspection these are important functions for your vehicle to operate and last for long periods of time. Arrowtown Garage can help you check all of the above to make sure your vehicle is in good working order for many years.
If your vehicle fails a WOF inspection you cannot drive it on the road unless you’re taking it somewhere to get it repaired or get a new WoF – and it’s safe to do so.
Arrowtown Garage will be able to assist you with most of the general repairs needed to safely get your vehicle up to NZTA WOF standards. This will be at an additional costs for parts and labour.
If your vehicle passes its WOF inspection at Arrowtown Garage, the WOF inspector will apply the WOF label on the inside of your front windscreen, on the driver’s side. You need to get your next warrant of fitness from Arrowtown Garage before the expiry date on the label.
WOF (Warrant of Fitness) testing done by our professional licensed Arrowtown Garage Warrant of Fitness Inspectors .
Find out more...
Need a WoF on your vehicle today? Get in touch with Arrowtown Garage for your warrant of fitness certificate!
Give Us a Call
Get in touch with our friendly staff at Arrowtown Garge who can assist you with your warrant of fitness certificate. (WoF)